President Trump Postpones 50% Tariff on Certain Canadian Goods for Three Days
President Donald Trump late Tuesday announced a three-day postponement of a 50% US tariff on certain Canadian goods that had been scheduled to take effect on Wednesday, The Guardian reported (8-18-26).
In a social media post, Trump said he had paused the tariffs for three days “based on the fact that Canada and the USA, subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL!”
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said “substantial progress” had been made towards a trade deal but more work was needed.
In the same post, Trump said the Keystone XL pipeline project “may be awoken from the grave.” It was unclear if the project was linked to the tariff agreement.
FEA compiles the Wood Markets News from various 3rd party sources to provide readers with the latest news impacting forest product markets. Opinions or views expressed in these articles do not necessarily represent those of FEA.