Welcome to Forest Economic Advisors’ new price service, PricePulse, North America’s first direct-transaction price report for wood products. This data-driven service revolutionizes price discovery within the industry. There is no opinion, no approximation, no uncertainty, and no one talking their position.
For decades, the main source of price information for wood products has been collected by a few editors surveying their contacts in the industry. That changes now.
Building on FEA’s long history of providing unbiased, in-depth analysis and fostering trusted relationships, FEA’s PricePulse brings this same attention and independence to price reporting.
A significant portion of the North American wood products industry is already sharing price data with us, and we will continue to expand the number of contributors. In the testing phase, only those companies that supply data have access to PricePulse and are encouraged to provide feedback and help us shape the service.
Keep Your Finger on the Pulse of the Market
How It Works
- Every day, data suppliers’ ERPs create files containing all open-market transactions
- These files are sent securely to our dedicated server
- Transactions are automatically mapped from the data supplier’s codes to FEA’s product prices
- Average weighted prices are calculated, and only those prices with a minimum number of participants are published to protect companies’ identities
Why It’s Better
- PricePulse only uses actual transactions
- There is a rigorous, well-defined methodology
- Only weighted averages are reported — no guesses, estimates, or opinions
- Every price has multiple participants: we don’t report prices without actual data
- Daily collection of transactions will capture market changes quickly with more accurate peaks and troughs
- There is no judgement involved at any stage, eliminating human error
- Companies’ identities are strictly confidential
- Provider data is secure from start to finish
Get PricePulse Updates
- SIGN-UP TO RECEIVE UPDATES
To sign-up for email updates regarding PricePulse, including when a public version will be available, enter your email below.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How are prices collected?
- A participating company (Participant) enters order data into the company’s ERP as part of their normal business process for the accounting, storing, managing, analyzing, and interpreting of their own data.
- Participants run reports from their ERPs which are uploaded via secure FTP directly to the FEA Transaction Price Division’s (TPD) secure server. Most Participants run these reports automatically.
- Participants’ data is delivered to a secure database on a dedicated server and mapped to FEA price codes.
- A computer algorithm creates a weighted average price of all Participants’ transactions for each reported product/grade.
- The weighted average price is pulled from this database for publication in FEA’s PricePulse report and made available through FEA’s Data Center and via an API.
- How can you guarantee that my company’s prices won’t be published?
FEA’s algorithm only reports a price when a minimum number of five companies upload transactions for that particular product/grade during the reporting period.
- How is transaction data secured?
To ensure the confidentiality and security of company data, FEA has implemented the following safeguards and policies:
- FEA’s Transaction Price Division (TPD) protects company data during transfer: FEA uses a secure S/FTP that is SOC 2 Type 1/2 compliant, ISO 27001 certified and is compliant with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- FEA’s TPD protects company data on a dedicated secure server: FEA’s main Data Center application is hosted on a dedicated server that uses a defense-in-depth layered approach to security. Access to the management network infrastructure is provided through multi-factor authentication points which restrict network-level access to infrastructure based on job function utilizing the principle of least privilege. All access to the ingress points is closely monitored and logged.
- FEA’s TPD protects company data within FEA TPD: Only application administrators will have access to the non-aggregated data. FEA’s PricePulse editors will have access to a de-identified subset of the non-aggregated data to ensure quality and consistency. A subset of the data will be made available to an independent third party to verify compliance with the methodology and process. All logins will require two-factor authentication and/or SSH key.
- Complete anonymity of data providers: FEA will never disclose whether any given market participant provides price and market data.
- No individual company’s data can be deduced: Weighted average transaction prices are aggregated with a minimum of 5 Participants which will prevent any individual company’s prices from being calculated.
- All FEA TPD staff understand the critical importance of confidentiality and data security: FEA requires all TPD staff to undergo annual training to ensure compliance with company policies.
- FEA will conduct a regular compliance verification: FEA will regularly submit its data confidentiality and security as well as its methodology to an independent, external firm for verification to ensure compliance with FEA’s stated policies.
- How do I know companies supplying data are not hand-selecting transactions?
All data suppliers sign an agreement that all of their transactions will be uploaded to the secure database. This ensures Participants do not skew the results by being selective in what they report. It also increases transparency.
- Are contract prices included in PricePulse?
No, only open-market transactions will be included.
- How can I access the PricePulse Methodology?
- Statement of Purpose
Forest Economic Advisors (FEA) is dedicated to providing independent, reliable analysis for the wood products and timber sectors. Building on its long history of benchmarking reports that provide insight into regional and global competitiveness, FEA’s PricePulse report is based on actual pricing and other market information FEA collects from market participants. Despite the procompetitive benefits that PricePulse provides to the industry, including increased price transparency, FEA recognizes the sensitivity of the data it collects and therefore antitrust compliance and competition principles are fully integrated into FEA’s methodology for preparing PricePulse. As described in the PricePulse Methodology, FEA aggregates and anonymizes the data it collects to create the zone weighted-average prices for a wide range of products in the wood products and timber sectors that are included in PricePulse in a manner that makes it impossible to determine the individual pricing of any specific market participant. PricePulse is designed to be a highly accurate pricing report with minimal to no potential for manipulation or anticompetitive impacts. PricePulse is available for purchase to everyone and brings both greater clarity and increased competitive potential to the wood products and timber sectors.